Sunday, December 13, 2009

I recently spent time trying to stay away from mass media. This sounds like is may not be that difficult, but it actually was. Staying away from mass media essentially means staying away from modern technology. So, I wanted to write a bit about my experience with this.

I found that the most difficult aspect of doing this was giving up "Ike." In case you are wondering this is my iPhone. My life tends to revolve around this piece of technology. My calender, alarm clock, phone book, music as well as many other pieces of my life are stored here. So by avoiding this I felt a bit lost.
However, once I spent time removed from this device I found things to be much more peaceful. The quickened pace of the modern world seemed to fall way. I could take the time to appreciate the small things like the sounds of nature as I walked or even more face-to-face communication. I grew to appreciate the removal of this technology from my life. Once it was replaced I learned to use Ike with more care. I learned just how amazing this technology is, and how it is so easy to take advantage of it all.

2 comments:

  1. It was really nice to disconnect from everything. I liked having time to talk with people and just relax. After that assignment, I learned to turn my phone off for a little while every day and avoid facebook for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. i am so much more appreciative for my iphone now. i never want to live without it again. it is nice to be away from technology once in a while but i use my iphone for everything so i don't think i could turn it off completely.

    ReplyDelete